Wednesday, June 21, 2017

The First Week!

Wow!

Giving up everything to serve the Lord has truly been one of the best things I could ever do in my entire life! It's more than hard, but the Lord has truly helped me through. I have a ton to say, so let's hop to it!

Me and ブレク長老​
 After I had said my goodbyes to my family I was immediately led through by a Host to grab my books and apply different resources. I was then directed to go to class, where my companion would be waiting there.

And there he was! His name is Elder Blake. I will continue to call him "Blake Chōrō". "ブレクちょうろう”, and "ブレク長老". So besides what I call him, he's a pretty great guy! He's from Spanish Fork, so he's not too homesick.

I then had dinner and made more friends in my District of 10 people.

​​Residence Hall
Only Sister Kelley (FYI: "Sister" in Japanese is "Shimai") is going to Sendai, Japan. I'll make sure to give more descriptions of everyone and shoot them as well.

I then I had truly learned my missionary purpose: I am to INVITE and SERVE in Christ's example. I would surely fail if I never do this. 

I had an awesome District Meeting that Thursday night! It was wonderful! I got to meet my branch presidency: President Murdock, Brother St. Clair, and Brother Sowards. These men are super cool, and they have served in Japan as well. I am especially thankful for President Murdock, for he had interviewed us in our district and I had told him I was not doing so well. Turns out, the answer was simple: I needed more water. Kind of a funny thing to say now that I think about it because the MTC continues to tell us the first week is like 'drinking from a fire hose' -- which it totally is.

Lesson Notes and Name Tag (The Orange Dot meant I was new)​
The MTC has a bookstore as well and I had gone there with ブレク長老 and I got a drawing pen and a lanyard for my residency key and missionary ID card. 

日本語 is very hard! But I love it! The teachers don't speak any English unless we can't figure out what we're saying.

And guess what else! My mission president and his wife from Japan came and visited me right after class! I was awkward and totally forgot how to speak Japanese, but President Sekiguchi knows English! So it was good to talk to him once I remembered how to speak that language as well.

Let's slow things down a bit before I write a novella. The next day, I went to the gym and apparently the Japanese Zone has a thing for Four Square! So I started gaining a reputation with a game I was pretty familiar with.
We had FHE and read Elder Bednar's talk from April 2015, "Therefore, They Hushed Their Fears". I recommend it a lot.


ブレク長老

ノース長老

Boys will be Boys (The one in the cot is Elder Rupp, the other on the bed is Elder Juchau-- not spelled right, but pronounced, "Jew-SHAH")



It was then Father's Day, Gravity Falls Day, and most importantly: The Sabbath Day! It was us and our District and I had truly felt the Spirit. President Murdock gave an awesome experience where he had thought that nobody in Japan had ever listened to his message, but 38 years later, he had found a young missionary who he had found out was the son of a ten year old boy who grew up with a picture of him and the missionaries and the Book of Mormon. He didn't do a lot of good things growing up, but then he found that Book of Mormon, and began to read.

President Sekiguchi gave his conversion story as well! He had wanted a Bible, but couldn't find any in Tōkyō, but he found himself in a crowd of a thousand people watching these two strange Americans writing about how they were missionaries on a huge piece of paper in front of an amusement park. He figured, "Hey! This is a great way to get a free Bible!". The missionaries gave him the Book of Mormon. He thought it odd that it didn't tell about Noah or Moses, but he continued reading and accepted to be taught by the missionaries. Sister Sekiguchi gave a talk as well, but that was in Japanese. It was way cool, but I didn't catch too much.
Breakfast!
Later, I had a Sunday Devotional with a very special guest speaker: (Drumroll please:) Donny Osmond! That was way cool.

He states that we should experience our missions. Not just walk around being uncomfortable or unfamiliar, but to immerse ourselves in the culture.
We also watched a recording of Elder Bednar as well. Basically: Don't be Cookie Monster. A saint of Christ is someone who turns outward and not inward.

There's plenty of roleplaying here at the MTC. Just without dice and a character sheet.

I'm also able to say quite a few good prayers in Japanese. It's best to SYL. "Speak Your Language", where you try to say as much as possible in Japanese, but then fill in with English.

And that finally brings us to today!

I want to thank you all for your love and support. I am truly grateful for all the wonderful things you have done to influence me and my life. 

I would like to apologize if I had ever wronged you or perhaps may wrong you, but I love all of you. Again, thank you for your lasting love and support. I would truly not be here today if it wasn't for that.

ノース長老
(Elder North)



The coolest guy in the world​

No comments:

Post a Comment